- 7 ounces (200 grams) best-quality dark chocolate
- 7 ounces (200 grams) unsalted European-style butter (the high-butterfat kind, such as Lurpak or Beurre d’Isigny), cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1⅓ cup (250 grams) granulated sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 1 Tbs unbleached all-purpose flour, or gluten free flour (Bob’s is my favorite)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit,butter an 8-inch round cake pan. Line the base of the pan with parchment, and butter again.
- Finely chop the chocolate and melt gently with the butter in a double boiler or in the microwave, stirring regularly. I use a glass bowl placed over a pan of boiling water on the stove). Add the sugar to the chocolate-butter mixture and stir until combined. Set aside to cool for a few moments.
- Then add the eggs one by one, stirring well after each addition, and then add the flour. The batter should be smooth.
- Pour batter into the buttered cake pan and bake for approximately 25 minutes, or until the center of the cake looks set and the top is shiny and a bit crackled. The center will jiggle and seem undone.
- Let the cake cool in its pan on a rack for 10 minutes; then carefully remove the cake so the crackled side is facing up. Allow to cool completely. (expect the cake to deflate!)
- Serve in wedges at room temperature ( I like to heat up the left overs and eat warm!)
- This cake becomes even better the next day!
So, a little update and whats going on over here! I had my birthday this week which was the motivation to get this cake made! Explaining to a four year old that there would be no cake for a birthday just wouldn’t make sense! Best decision of the week. As many of you probably know, cooking is sometimes one of the last things you want to do when you have a new born! It is crazy how much time or just energy this little nuggets can suck out of you huh? It’s all worth it and wonderful but the truth is, I kind of hate the thought of making dinner these days!! I would love to eat out every day if I could but we are on a budget so that ain’t going to be happening anytime soon BUT for my birthday my husband and I went to lunch at Cafe Gourmand which is sooo good and reasonably priced. Take a look at what our new taste buds are enjoying… below are some really bad photos taken with my phone but at least you can see!
The birthday celebration!! Very exciting as you can see… haha.
My birthday present from my hubby- yes he is claiming our child (born a month ago) as his gift for moi! haha.
He is in heaven! This is Steak Tartar… looks gross right?? Ya it took us about a month of watching people eat this on the streets before we dare order it. It is served everywhere and now we know why- its incredibly delicious! It is basically a good steak ground up and eaten raw with different sauces depending what style you order. It often comes with a raw egg yolk to put on top. I know what you are thinking- but trust me, it is to die for!!
This is salmon tartar (raw salmon) mixed with lemon, olive oil and a few herbs… absolutely beautiful!! I could eat this every day!
Beet Carpaccio: thin beets with a drizzle of pesto and olive oil. It was beautiful.. super fresh and delicate tasting.
This is another, new for me item… poached eggs with bacon in a red wine reduction that was also amazing! I will have to find the real names. I thought it would probably be questionable but was again, amazing!!
Anyway, it was fun to get a post done! I am not going to be the most diligent in my posting for a little bit. I am down a computer (getting fixed right now) and up one beautiful little baby. We are busy going about every day life and my husband is trying to find an internship/job for when he graduates in 7 weeks! We are in the “what’s going to happen to us next stage”! A little stressful but very exciting!
I would love to hear from you as I always do. Have a wonderful week!!