This recipe has been passed from women to women, to my sister, to my mom, who made it for me and now I am here to create the root system effect, and send it out to all. This is one is a keeper.
As many of you know it is not always easy to bake gluten- free. A lot of recipes are flavorless, dense, and just not really desirable in the least bit. You end up eating it because you simply don’t want it go to waste.
Not this one, this carrot cake is moist and flavorful! Works well as a cake or as muffins. For Tama, I leave some unfrosted, to make for a healthier option- or the truth- because it is potentially less mess. He loves them!
If you are not concerned about them being gluten free, the flour is interchangeable. For all of us gluten free folk- this is on the top of the list for moist, delightful, gluten free baking!
- Gluten Free Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 cups sugar (I used only 1 ¼ cup and it was plenty sweet especially with the icing)
- 4 eggs (or egg replacer)
- 1 ½ cups light olive oil or your favorite veg oil
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups all purpose gluten free flour mix (I used
- “Bob’s Red Mill Gluten- Free Pizza Crust Mix” Super Store has it )
- 2 tsp baking pwd
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup chopped nuts (I used pecans) optional
- 3 cups freshly grated carrots
- Cream Cheese Topping
- 4 T unsalted butter (I used margarine)
- 3 ounces cream cheese (I used dairy free cream cheese)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 ½ cups gluten free powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350
- Use two round pans, one 9×13 pan or 36 muffin cups for this recipe. If using round pans- lightly grease and place a circle of parchment in the bottom of the pan for easy removal. Use paper liners for cup cakes.
- Cream sugar and eggs in a large bowl with an electric mixer or stand mixer. Add oil and vanilla and beat just until smooth.
- In a separate bowl combine gluten-free flour mix, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and beat until blended.
- Stir in grated carrots and nuts. Pour the batter into prepared pans.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. For muffins, reduce baking time to 30-35 minutes or until they pass the toothpick test. Cool on a wire rack. Make sure not to over cook.
- While cake or muffins are cooling place butter, cream cheese and vanilla in a large mixing bowl and beat on high until smooth. Add powdered sugar and beat until smooth and creamy.
- When cake or muffins are cool, frost.
- This cake freezes well.
- To make it a gluten free and dairy free cake use dairy free cream cheese.