Sometimes it is just fun to make your favorites at home! The smell of hazelnuts that will come out of your oven when toasting is reason enough to make this. There are not many scents that top the comfort and warmth of the scent of toasted hazelnuts. This is easy to make and stores very well in the refrigerator!
For any of you that have never had Nutella, let me tell you right now, it is time to introduce it into your life. As a kid I would spread it on toast, eat it with fruit, inside of a crepe with sliced bananas, eat it out of the jar, on top ice cream and basically anyway I could think of- we all did!
If you want a healthier version check out our Vegan Natural Nutella! (This one does not have the exact consistency of the original- it is more nutty which you may like. Either way, these are excellent spreads to have in the home!
- 1½ cups toasted hazelnuts
- ½ cup unrefined sugar (coconut, Sucanat, or other)
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons good quality cocoa
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- 4 tablespoons coconuts oil (you can use vegetable oil or peanut oil but coconut oil is the healthiest option)
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk
- If you need to toast your hazelnuts, preheat the oven to 350°F (176°C).
- Put hazelnuts on a baking sheet and toast in oven for 12 minutes.
- Once the hazelnuts have cooled enough to handle, wrap into a kitchen towel and rub roughly to remove the hazelnut skins. There will be some skins that will just not come off with easy and that’s okay- use anyway. Let cool completely.
- Next, in a food processor (or a really good blender-vita mix good) blend the hazel nuts until creamy like nut butter. Then add the rest of the ingredients and blend until smooth. Spread over toast, fill a crepe, with fruit, on top of ice cream, or eat out straight out of the jar!