Momma Peggy’s Toasted Coconut Chocolate Chip Banana Bread with a Sweet Hazelnut Drizzle Gone Gluten Free… It really doesn’t get any better than this. Trust me, I have been around the ‘Gluten-less Bakery block’ and there is nothing-NOTHING that compares to this Banana Bread.
Do yourself a favor and make this right now. It is easy to prepare and takes approx 50 minutes to bake. Your quality of life will increase when it is introduced to your mouth.
Put away your recipes books because this is what you want- unless you are the .000009 percent of people that don’t like banana’s- you can’t count!
Peggy is my mother in law who makes dozens of these a day (non-gluten free) for our family restaurant- Kahuku Grill, North Shore, Hawaii. She makes these in her sleep, and saying she has mastered it- is an understatement!
The exact recipe she keeps secret but this gluten-free version is coming out public, for the very first time, right now. Thank you momma Peggy you sweet sweet Hazelnut Drizzled, Toasted Coconut Chip Banana Bread of a Lady!
Up close and personal….
The loaf lasted two seconds after its photoshoot.
- 1 cup flour (Gluten Free All Purpose Baking Flour)- Bob’s Red Mill’s
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons sour milk or soy milk (almost 4 tablespoons of the milk mixed with 1 teaspoon vinegar)-let sit for two minutes-it will curd slightly
- 1 stick butter softened
- 1 cup mashed banana (the older the better unless it smells)
- 2 handfuls chocolate chips (healthy version…cocoa nibs)
- 1 handful shredded coconut
- ½ cup confectioners sugar
- 1-2 teaspoons milk or soy milk (I used hazelnut coffee creamer)
- Heat oven to 350 Degrees F
- Mix dry ingredients in a bowl
- Mix wet ingredients in another bowl
- Mix dry and wet ingredients together
- Pour into greased and floured bread baking pan
- sprinkle 1 handful of chocolate chips and shredded coconut on batter in pan and swirl with a knife.
- Add remaining chocolate chips and coconut on top
- Bake at 350 Degree for 45-50 ( tin pan) 50-55(glass pan) minutes. My oven bakes for 46 minutes in a tin pan.
- When cool, drizzle with glaze.
- Instructions for glaze…
- Put 1 teaspoon of milk of choice into confectioners sugar and slowly add more milk if needed to get desired consistency. It should be rather thin.
- If you want a healthy glaze, take honey and drizzle the bread and sprinkle with cinnamon! Mmmmm.