Bursting with flavors and colors, this is as fun of a salad to look at, as it is to serve and eat!
Roasted beets naturally caramelize and are full of deep flavor and can be tossed in a salad or eaten alone!
This salad is so versatile, so do not be afraid to make it your own, and add dried cranberries or blueberries, toasted walnuts or candied pecans, sunflower seeds, turn out the goat cheese for blue or feta! Go ahead a make it your own! Just make sure to share with us how you made it special!
So without further ado, I present to you, Roasted Beet Salad with Orange Citrus Vinaigrette and Goat Cheese!
- 6 small golden beets, scrubbed, tops off, halved
- 6 small red beets, scrubbed, tops off, cut in half or quarters
- ½ orange in parts (or mandarin orange
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon sugar cane
- ½ cup goat cheese (or blue cheese or feta)
- choice of lettuce (ex: butter lettuce, arugula, mache, romaine)
- For Orange Citrus Vinaigrette
- ⅔ cup rice wine vinegar
- ⅓ cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint or cilantro (optional)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon honey or agave
- To Roast the Beets:
- Pre-heat oven to 425. Mix beets with oil, salt, and sugar cane. Spread on parchment paper lined baking sheet and roast for about 45 minutes. Rotate after 25 minutes to make sure they roast evenly. Roast until they are soft to a fork poke.
- Lay a bed of lettuce in a large bowl or serving plate and scatter orange pieces, goat cheese and beets on top and drizzle with Orange Citrus Vinaigrette
- Instructions for Orange Citrus Vinaigrette
- Whisk together the vinegar, orange juice, oil, mustard, garlic, mint or cilantro if using, and honey in a bowl or put in a jar and shake; store in refrigerator.
- *additional toppings: sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, dried cranberries, toasted or candied pecans or walnuts!
- Have fun and make it your own! You can use any other vinaigrette you like if you don’t want to make your own!