I love soups for many of reasons- one, they are cheap, two, they are simple to prepare, three, they are usually jam packed full of nutrients, and fourth, they are loaded with flavor!
There are a lot of soups out there, so it is a matter of finding which ones click with you and saving them as your go to recipes.
This one is full of deep flavor and loaded with vegetables. If you are vegetarian go ahead and eliminate the chicken, and you still have a beautiful soup.
A lot of time, I will chop up all the ingredients, throw it in a crock pot, set it for 6 hours and come dinner time, we are set to go!
Today, Tawny and I, our kids and my sister Bree shared it for lunch, and I am itching to get another bowl of it right now so lets wrap this up!
Easy to prepare, full of flavor, healthy, light, and could feed a village- if needs be!
- IN A LARGE POT PUT-
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- splash of water
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic minced
- SAUTE ABOVE FOR 5 MINUTES.
- NEXT- ADD SPICES.
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne or paprika
- ¼ teaspoon crushed pepper flakes (less if you do not like a little kick)
- 2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper (If you don’t have, add ¼ cup lemon juice at the end)
- 1 Tablespoon Montreal Steak Seasoning (If you don’t have, use 2 teaspoons of pepper)
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- SAUTE 1 MORE MINUTE.
- ADD THE LIST BELOW
- 8 cups water or chicken stock (I added both)
- 1-2 Breasts of Chicken chopped or shredded (optional)
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 ½ chopped potatoes
- 1-2 cups cabbage
- 30 oz. tomatoes (I used 2 cans of fire roasted tomatoes)
- ADD & BRING TO BOIL, THEN SIMMER 20 MIN. OR UNTIL CARROTS ARE DONE.
- Salt and Pepper to taste.