Broccoli Salad is pretty amazing. The first time I tried it, I started downing it like I would apple crisp- plate after plate. But hey it’s healthy, so the more the better right! Not even close. It was a bacon, cheese, mayo masterpiece. I knew it was just a tad too good to be healthy. Trying to up my health game lately, seeing how I spent a good solid month with a staple diet of Salt’n Vinegar Potato Chips, I knew I needed to make some changes.
Pregnancy got woozy and crazy and I seriously went a full month where all I could handle was Salt’n Vinegar chips. Thank goodness things are normal now and I can make some wiser choices! OH, and oh my gosh, I just found out… we are having a BOY!! We are beyond excited and we saw the ultra sound and he wasn’t a potato chip… which I was kind of worried about! It looks like all my intuition about having a little girl was completely off! What do I know… but hey we are beyond excited and feel so very blessed.
So not only are we having a baby boy, I found a great healthy broccoli salad recipe! It doesn’t taste anything like the bacon cheese version but it is pretty amazing! This one is tangy and sweet with green apple, raisins or currents, purple onion, grapes, Greek yogurt and some other good stuff! Enjoy the tastes and the benefits!
- 4 cups small broccoli florets (about 1½ pounds)
- 1½ cups seedless green grapes, halved
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup raisins or currents
- ¼ cup salted sunflower seeds
- ⅓ cup light mayonnaise (or up the yogurt if you do not want mayo)
- ¼ cup plain fat-free yogurt or Greek yogurt ( I prefer Greek yogurt)
- 3 tablespoons sugar or 2 tablespoons honey or 1 tablespoon of agave
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- Combine the first 5 ingredients in a large bowl.
- Combine Greek yogurt, light mayonnaise (if using) and remaining ingredients, stirring with a whisk. Pour dressing over broccoli mixture, and toss well. Chill for 1 hour.